STAND-BY STORAGE OF SNOW MOBILE
Stand-by storage of a snow mobile for the summer period is a very important procedure that guarantees proper operation of all the mechanisms for a long period. If you ignore this process, you can face fast breakdown of the machine, expensive repair works and replacement of spare parts. You can do all works yourself for only several hours without any professional assistance. You should do it immediately after winter and do not wait till the metal and plastic are damaged.
Before maintenance, remove all the dirt from the machine. Remove the charger and wash all the units with a strong water jet. The units with a thick oil layer are to be handled with a hot soap solution. After that wipe all the metal details with a dry cloth. Now it’s time to handle the fuel.
Keep the petrol in a separate storage tank to avoid inflammation. An empty fuel tank is to be coated with machine oil to avoid rust formation. The neck of the fuel tank is to be wrapped with a thick polymer film and tightened with a plastic clamp. Rubber hoses should be covered with cardboard or several layers of paper.
The fuel in the storage tank is to be diluted with a stabilizer that prevents from volatility reducing evaporation process. This method will help avoid carburator corrosion if we leave fuel in the fuel tank for the summer period. 20 ml stabilizer for a liter of fuel. If the concentration is smaller, octane rate of the fuel will be less and it will reduce motor capacity.
Power unit is to be covered with machine oil not only outside but inside as well. It will prevent it from corrosion due to dew and condensate. Even thin layer of protective material will prevent from contact of the motor and all the systems involved with moisture.
You will need:
- set of wrenches;
- flat and bent screw drivers;
- pressurized conservation oil;
- adjustable spanner;
- wire brushes;
- protective glasses and gloves.
The motor is maintained as follows:
- Removal of the cover, disconnection of cables and fittings. Be careful, not to break headlights and windscreen. If you plan to transport the snow mobile in a truck or a trailer, it is recommended to remove the glass and pack it into foam plastic or PU foam.
- Demounting of air filter housing. Carburator and spark plug removal. Dry wiping of parts and treatment with anti-corrosion agent. Fitting of a wrench on the crankshaft. Rotation of the motor with oil injection into cylinders at different piston positions.
- Setting of the spark plugs and the carburator. Oil excess removal, even distribution along the motor housing.
- Housing placement. It is recommended not to join electrical connections but wrap them with oil paper. It will prevent their oxidation and adhesion during storage.
- You can also cover the power unit with tarpaulin or any other thick cloth for dust-, rodent- and insect protection.
- It is not recommended to wrap the motor into wrapping film as moisture and condensate can accumulate under it.
Suspension system is exposed to water, solid abrasive materials and corrosive liquid on the road. There are a lot of holes in the under-carriage where moisture accumulates causing corrosion and destruction of parts. It is recommended to clean these places with air compressor which removes water, sand and small stones.
After that check caterpillar track. If possible,remove them, lubricate and twist. Keep in oil cloth or paper. With caterpillar track removed it is easier to access rollers and gear wheels. Shock absorbers are to be loosened and the oil is to be changed.
During operation process liquid is splashed out of the chassis oil cups and the water comes into them. Take a syringe with a long thin nozzle and put some drops of oil into each oil can on the chassis. Add process liquid slowly, drop by drop. It is necessary for the grease to get into all the holes and displace moisture in them. First water goes out of the holes. When clean oil goes out of the holes, it means there is enough oil.
Then steering tube is to be treated. Holes can be found with the help of a pricker and a pocket lamp. Add the liquid into the oil cans as described above. Excess is to be removed and the parts are to be wiped dry.
In models with variable drive it is recommended to remove tensioning belt. Humidity and temperature changes cause rubber damage and rust of the shafts. Moreover long static position causes belt bumps jamming and affects its operation properties.
Iron parts of the machine are to be corrosion protected at any storage place. Aluminum is moisture-resistant but loses its properties from UV exposure. You can protect metal parts by isolation from outside environment by special means available on market. First parts are to be cleaned from saline deposits, carbon residues and rust. Damaged parts are to be primed and painted
Rust-preventing grease is to be applied on:
- Exhaust pipe;
- Ski and the engine;
- Front suspension;
- Rear suspension rails;
- Control units rims;
- Chain wheel gear housing;
- Speed selector;
- Cylinders heads.
Depending on configuration the grease is put with the help of an oil cab, brush or natural cloth. To prevent environment pollution, put a PU film under the snow mobile. Wear gloves and glasses.
Where to keep
Maintenance of the machine before storage is better to perform in the place of storage. Otherwise it will be inconvenient to transport clean and lubricated machine to storage place.
It is not recommended to put the machine of the ground or concrete floor as such a base does not hinder moisture and condensate penetration. Our containers are an optimal choice because they are dry closed rooms without any temperature, snow and rain exposure.